Weddings at First Parish
Christmas Fair by the Sea, date to be announced read more
Sign Up for our Weekly Update, Events Emails and Church Bell Newsletter
Frequently Asked Questions
Events at the Church listed on our FaceBook Page
and on our calendar
Map to the Church and Chapel
Coming by Route 128; travel North to Exit 15, School St., take a right and head towards Manchester. When School St. ends the Church will be in front of you. Take a right and a quick left beside Town Hall/Police Station. Parking is available behind the Town Hall.
Coming by Route 133: travel Route 133 East to Essex, after passing Woodman’s and Dunkin Donuts take a right on to Southern Ave. towards Manchester. Continue on Southern Ave. as it passes over Route 128 and turns into School St. in Manchester. When School St. ends the Church will be in front of you. Take a right and a quick left beside Town Hall/Police Station. Parking is available behind the Town Hall.
Location and Mailing Address:
- PO Box 187 , Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts 01944-0187
- The church is located on Rt 127, on the Village Green in downtown Manchester, directly adjacent to the Town Hall.
- The church office is located in the Chapel building, at 1 Chapel Lane, just down the street from the church and behind the Santander Bank building. Office hours are 9 am-noon, Monday-Friday.
Directions to the Church:
- 10:00 a.m. Sunday Worship from Labor Day through June 30th
- 9:00 a.m. Sunday Worship from July 1st through Labor Day
The Sacrament of Communion is open to all who are moved by the love and concerns of Jesus Christ, the first Sunday of each month and on Maundy Thursday during Holy Week. Communion, upon request, is offered to hospital patients and the homebound. The Sacrament of baptism is offered to those who make arrangements through the church office. Normally, baptism is a service of community celebration and arranged during our regular worship times.
- There is parking for the church in the town lot behind the town hall or on adjoining streets.
- There is limited parking at the Chapel building.
Handicapped access (see map):
- To the Church from a ramp on the side of the building and adjoining the handicapped parking space.
- To the Chapel through the main door ramp.
Children join their families at the end of worship each Sunday following SS classes and for other services throughout the year, such as Pageant Sunday, Palm Sunday and Children’s Day in May. Children, who regularly meet for Sunday School in the Chapel, located behind the Santander Bank, participate in the 10:00 a.m. worship as a celebration of their religious education.
Christmas Eve, December 24th, Candlelight Services are offered at both 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. The 5:00 p.m. service is a family service designed for child participation, while the 7:00 p.m. service is a community celebration of Christmas readings and carols.
Ash Wednesday celebrates the beginning of Lent and is followed every other week by three vesper services, the final one being Maundy Thursday, the Thursday of Holy Week, a celebration of the Tenebrae
(meaning shadow) of the Lights
with Holy Communion. The Tenebrae worship
is preceded by a Passover Meal
held in the Chapel.
First Parish Church is pleased to be involved in two ecumenical services
during Holy Week. Good Friday Service, held at 12:00 noon, is celebrated by ministers from the Baptist, Catholic, Episcopal, and Congregational faiths; the location is rotated between area churches. Easter Sunrise Service is celebrated on Singing Beach (at the end of Beach Street) Easter morning with each faith community participating. Easter Worship is held in the First Parish Church, Congregational sanctuary at 10:00 a.m.
- Sunrise Service on Singing Beach (a multi denominational service).
- Regular worship 10 AM.
The flowers that decorate our altar each Sunday are usually contributed by a family to commemorate a significant occasion. What a beautiful way to share with the church community both the happy occasions of your immediate family (baptism and weddings) and the loss and remembrance of loved ones.
We hope that you, as a new member, will consider sharing with us these significant moments in your life, while helping to decorate our church on Sundays. Call the office at 978-526-7661 to indicate the Sunday you would like to contribute flowers to the altar.
Flowers may be ordered through any florist you choose. In most cases, the florist will take responsibility for delivering the flowers directly to the church.
Church office hours:
- Our Chapel building is available for rentals. We have a large Hall and smaller conference room. Please call for availability and pricing.
- Wedding dates can be checked by calling 978-526-7661 ext 1 or emailing email@example.com to check the availability of the pastor and Church.
- Our Church is available for Weddings, learn more