Dear Members and Friends of First Parish Church, Congregational, United Church of Christ—
There is new energy at First Parish Church, which was so evident in worship this morning!
The front doors were wide open to the Spring sunshine, as we began to gather. A member of the Vitality Committee stood outside, warmly welcoming guests and church members as they arrived. In the narthex, the greeter shook hands and exchanged smiles and laughter.
The Brahms prelude on the organ set a meditative tone. As the service started, several people lined up to make announcements, inviting the congregation to consider taking part in many different spiritual activities, including:
- A newly forming parents’ network
- A new Christian book lending library
- An upcoming outdoor worship service at Tuck’s Point on June 23 (mark your calendars!)
- Providing Easter plants for our sanctuary and/or donating them to homebound members
- A Vespers Service at a neighboring church (in the spirit of ecumenism!)
- Praying for Peace– for our country and our world– as we remember the 74th anniversary of the April 1st Battle of Okinawa during World War II
- An interfaith service of healing, movement, and prayer
And those were just today’s announcements! The Spirit continues to breathe new life into the church as we meet for Sunday morning worship and Saturday evening Vespers at First Parish; as Don and the choir lead us in singing God’s praise; as the Care Team provides meals for people who are recovering from illness; as Jessica teaches the First Communion Class about the meaning of the sacrament; as people meet in supportive small groups to knit, read, paint prayer-rocks or engage in Bible study; as meals are prepared for Brown Bag Lunches and served at the Open Door; as the Search Committee interviews pastoral candidates; and as the committees of the church work hard “behind the scenes” to support all these ministries in Jesus’ name—and more.
Rev. Dr. Marlayna Schmidt