The Outreach and Service Committee’s mission is to serve people in need. We do this by engaging our Church community in projects that empower people and provide for their necessities. We give aid - both service and financial - to local and global organizations that help the homeless, disadvantaged, disabled, unemployed, and oppressed. Additionally, we support stewardship of our planet, God’s creation.
Our hands-on outreach includes:
- The Open Door
Several times a year we gather to serve dinner at The Open Door in Gloucester. We need volunteers to prep and serve food and to help with clean up. You can sign up by following the links below or speak with Jim Brennan after worship or at 978-879-4595. Special conditions may apply due to COVID-19.
- Action, Inc.
Before Covid, First Parish Church ran an ongoing monthly Brown Bag Lunch Mission for Action, Inc. an Emergency Homeless Shelter in Gloucester. Volunteers were welcome to participate in making, donating ingredients for, and delivering the lunches on the last Friday of each month. We anticipate reviving this effort soon, as Covid retreats. To see the sorts of goods needed click here..
- The Seaside Parish Knitters
Over the years we have enjoyed our time knitting and crocheting items for baptismal events at the church, shawls and blankets for friends at home, scarves, neck gators, and helmet liners for our veterans in combat, and mittens and hats for Cape Ann children. The Seaside Parish Knitters are always looking for knitting needles and yarn that you might be considering “casting” aside, especially wool. Contact Penny Lapham at 978-526-7128. We welcome anyone wishing to join us.
- Seasonal Activities
Throughout the year, our church provides direct support for children and families such as loaded school back packs, holiday baskets and presents, and winter clothes.
Our financial outreach includes direct donations & gift cards to:
- Action, Inc. (Homeless)
- American Legion - Amaral Bailey Post 113, Operation Troop Support (Veterans)
- Beverly Bootstraps (Homeless)
- Bridge Over Troubled Waters (Youth / Education)
- Cape Ann Interfaith Commission 48 Middle St, Gloucester, MA 978-283-8150. (Hunger / Poverty)
- Elevate New England (Youth Enrichment)
- Emmaus, Inc. (Homeless / Poverty)
- Gloucester Office for Veteran Services (Veterans)
- Habitat for Humanity (Homeless / Poverty)
- HAWC (Physical/Mental Abuse)
- Heifer International (Hunger / Poverty)
- Lifebridge Northshore - Grace Center (Homeless / Poverty)
- MAC United Church of Christ (Community Outreach)
- Manchester Essex Conservation Trust (Climate / Environmental)
- The Open Door in Gloucester (Hunger / Poverty)
- Rainforest Trust (Climate / Environmental)
- RIP Medical Debt (Financial aid for Medical expenses)
- Salvation Army North Shore (International Outreach)
- Wetland initiative (Climate / Environmental)